Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

SHE SAYS: What’s that smell?

Wisdom that encourages a pleasing aroma .
Think about some of the smells that you really enjoy:  fresh baked bread, a freshly sliced watermelon, the smell of hyacinths in the spring. 

As I have considered these verses in 2 Corinthians 2, it has caused me to relive some of those moments as a parent with my children when they were little.  I loved their aroma as I rocked them to sleep, hugged them after a nap, or after I wrapped them in a towel fresh from the tub.  I remember nuzzling my face into their hair and breathing in their sweetness.
2 Corinthians 2:14-15 “But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere.  For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing."
This incredible picture begins in verse 14.  First that we are grateful captives, we who were once enemies of the King, are now joyful.  Why are we joyful?  Because but we are being led by God, our Creator in a victory procession of our King and although we are weak, we are triumphant because of Him.  And our task?  To tell everyone, everywhere, the reason for our abundance of jubilation, the gospel or great news about what Christ the King has done for us and wants to do for all.
This act creates an aroma and faithful Christ-followers are like a walking room freshener or that bathtub fresh child to God.  Our presence in this locker-room of a world brings God much delight. 
But scripture also gives us a very clear warning lest we become complacent:
“It will come about at that time that I will search Jerusalem with lamps, And I will punish the men who are stagnant in spirit, who say in their hearts, ‘The LORD will not do good or evil!’  Zephaniah 1:12 (NASB) 

Stagnant in Spirit?  The word stagnant is described in the dictionary as “not moving”, “inactive”, “dull”, “motionless” or “foul”.

Occasionally in the park where I walk in the morning, there are places where the water has been standing for a while and it is quite unpleasant to walk nearby.   In fact, if I have the option, I will walk on a different path to avoid the disgustingly foul smell. 
What a tragedy that we would allow ourselves to become so foul that someone would take a different path to avoid us, or we would be so motionless or dull that those around us would completely miss out on the Great News! 
Lord, help me not be complacent.  Work in me so that I am the child you desire to hold close, the beautiful aroma of Christ to those who are perishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment