Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

HE SAYS: Goodness Gracious!

Before I understood the meaning of the word, I would say, “Halleluiah” with a sarcastic tone, meaning: “About time!”.  Now I understand the word Halleluiah is a personal comment to God which literally means: Praise be to you God.  Not a good use of sarcasm….

In the same ignorant way, I would say, “Goodness Gracious!”  as an exclamation.  Now that I understand the undeserved gift of Grace,  I do not so easily profane the word.

I remember the first time the idea of “Salvation by Grace” was presented to me.  A Baptist colleague and I stood in a factory aisle for more than an hour debating the idea that salvation is a gift, and cannot be earned.  I rejected everything my friend told me.  I firmly believed that my efforts, my righteousness, or my works added value to my soul and, in a sense, purchased salvation.

I obviously had read Ephesians with blind eyes.

Ephesians 2: 7-9  King James Version (KJV)

That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  Not of works, lest any man should boast.


God could not put this message in clearer language, but people the world over are still trying to climb the ladder to heaven.  James explains their thinking very well.

James 2: 17-20 King James Version (KJV)

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

We can have Faith without works,
We can have works without Faith,
In either case, there is no salvation.  The Faith and the works must be from the same source: God

Faith is a gift
Grace is a gift
Salvation is a gift

All from a loving heavenly Father, who eternally and perfectly loves us and cares for us in spite of our sin.

Halleluiah!

No comments:

Post a Comment