Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

SHE SAYS: Gift Giving

I created this piece as a gift for my mom.
Have you ever thought about how you give gifts?  

Here are a couple of the ways I have given gifts:
  • Giving a gift that I loved and would have quite liked to have kept for myself.
  • Giving a gift that I found or made that perfectly fit the person that I gave it too.
I must also admit that I have given gifts that were less than what I would have liked to give, because the cost to have purchased the ideal gift would have been too great.

But think about this. God has done this for us. He gave us a gift that He would have liked to have kept for Himself, a gift that was perfect for us, and a gift that was so costly. But He spared no expense.
“Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!” 2 Corinthians 9:15
 
What is this gift of which Paul speaks? The gift of Jesus Christ crucified and risen. John 3:16 says “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”

Why?  So why would God give up his only son unto death when he could have given us anything else? 

In Psalm 50:12, God says “If I were hungry I would not tell you, for the world is mine, and all that is in it.” 

This is the wonder and glory of the gift. God could have given us anything, but only Jesus, his son, was the “perfect” gift. His gift required and incredible sacrifice. His sacrifice was unblemished, without sin, and His sacrifice is eternal, once for all. It is truly indescribable, immeasurable, amazing – all because He loved us.

So what should I do with this knowledge? 

I must first accept the Gift, not because I deserve it, but because God loves me (which I admit is sometimes hard to comprehend why). And then comes gratitude. I can assure you that once you have received this Gift that you will be thankful to the Giver continually.
“But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing…” 2 Corinthians 2:14-15
My heart overflows with thanksgiving and praise! Thank You for the perfect Gift…thanks to my Savior, Lord, and King!

No comments:

Post a Comment