Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

HE SAYS: Prostitutes and Sinners!

I remember the first time I heard that the Bible talked about prostitutes.  I searched the scriptures to learn the truth.  What a surprise to learn that King David’s great-grandmother was a prostitute.
Matthew 1: 5-6 (NIV)  The Genealogy of Jesus the Messiah
Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab,
   Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth,
   Obed the father of Jesse,
 and Jesse the father of King David.

Jesus, the perfect Son of God had a gentile prostitute in his lineage?
I spent the first 4 decades of my life worrying about choosing the correct activities, choosing the correct friends, and isolating myself from evil.  I was a firm believer in the saying, “Bad friends corrupt good people.”  Since, in my self-righteous and pharisaical mind, I considered myself to be a good person, I certainly didn’t want to mess that up.
As Christians, we are called to help the helpless.  Our mission should be to introduce the sick to the Great Physician.  Paul warns us in 1 Corinthians 15:33 to be careful, but neither are we to hide ourselves away.  We are the light in a dark world.
These words in Matthew 21 are a constant warning to me that my over-inflated opinion of myself is a destructive force.
Matthew 21:31b-32 (NIV1984)
Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.  For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

My Lord and Savior was condemned and crucified because the “good people” of the time could not believe the Messiah would associate with sinful people.  The sinners loved Him because he cared for them.  He not only cared for them, He saved them.

He has saved me.

Lord, please give me the strength and boldness to proclaim your praise from a high place.  May my life reflect your pure glory to anyone who has lost his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment