Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

HE SAYS: Who is my neighbor?

We volunteered to help do some yard work for people in desperate need this week end.  We were not told where we were going until we arrived at church.  I was surprised to learn that we were going to a middle-class neighborhood in the middle of town.
When we arrived at the house and I saw the cluttered and trashy condition of the property, my first, self-righteous reaction was: “What a slob!”
Then we knocked on the front door, and the people of the house were not even dressed yet.
“Lazy!”  I thought to myself.
The back yard needed about an hour of intense work from our group.  About 10 minutes after we started, the “man of the house” came outside.  He was wearing a pair of exercise shorts and nothing else.  His belly looked like he was in his 5th trimester, and he had a huge open-heart-surgery scar running down his chest.
Once again, my thoughts were judgmental.
The lady of the house came outside a few minutes before we finished, and we were all gathered around them.  One of our pastors asked if we could pray for them, and if there was anything specific for which they needed prayer.
They reluctantly shared their story.  It was not a feel-good story.  It was filled with loss and need and pain.
Then was when I learned why their property was in such bad shape.
Then was when I was convicted of my judgmental attitude.
Then was when I started noticing all the other houses in the neighborhood.  Those families had more than they needed.  They had health, wealth, and opportunity, but they had not taken a couple of hours to help their neighbor.
Neither have I.
 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?” The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”  Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”  Luke 10:36-37 (NIV) 

No comments:

Post a Comment