Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

HE SAYS: Who is Jesus?

This is the question which has troubled humankind for 21 centuries.
I won’t go to the trouble to list all the guesses which have been made in an attempt to answer this question.  I call them guesses for an important reason.  When one reads what the bible says about Jesus, one can only arrive at one answer:
Jesus was God in human flesh.
Sharon spent the better part of last week writing a letter which answered the question “Who is Jesus?”.  She did not spend so much time because she struggled to find evidence.  Her struggle was with what evidence to not mention in order to keep the letter a reasonable length.  She commented in frustration one evening, “I don’t know how I read the bible for so many years and did not understand the deity of Christ.  The bible is full of verses which proclaim Jesus to be God.”
My experience was the same, and only spiritual blindness can explain our inability to see and understand.
This problem is not new, and it is not limited.
I had never heard Billy Graham speak, so I played one of his sermons on YouTube.  The title of the sermon was: Who is Jesus, hence the title of my post.  In his sermon, Billy mentioned some of the common mistaken beliefs about Jesus which were prevalent at that time (1971).  I was struck by the similarities of the confusions about Jesus then and now.
He mentioned the rock opera, Jesus Christ Superstar.  In one of the final songs, the choir sings these lyrics:
Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ
Who are you? What have you sacrificed?
Jesus Christ Superstar
Do you think you're what they say you are?

The real question is not for God.  The question is for humans: “Jesus Christ, do you think he is who he says he is?”

 Jesus was very clear about who he is.  His Jewish opponents had no trouble understanding his claims.  They just could not believe.

John 8:58-59 (NIV) “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”  At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

John 10:29-33  (NIV) "My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.  I and the Father are one.”  Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment