Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

HE SAYS: The Lesson of the Mockingbird

I arrived at work yesterday in a bad mood.  As I walked into the building, the only thoughts on my mind were negative, defeating, and critical.  Then, I heard the mockingbird.  He was perched on the top rung of a roof access ladder on the side of the building, and he was singing non-stop.  Occasionally, his joy would overflow, and he couldn’t sit still.  He would fly up into the breeze and float back to his perch, never pausing a moment in his song.
I stood and watched for a minute.  His joy was contagious.  I walked away saying to the Lord, “Point taken!”
We are called to proclaim the love of Christ to the world.  We are called to be a light in darkness.  We cannot however, expect our witness to be welcomed with open arms.  I met a woman who hated mockingbirds.  I was surprised to hear her statement, so I asked her why.  Her simple response was, “They never shut-up!”
This animosity toward joy is not only directed at mockingbirds.  I was surfing YouTube the other day, and came across a Jim Carrey standup comedy video.  In his routine, he makes the statement, “I want to be one of those gospel singers on the PTL club.  Those guys are just happy no matter what.”  He crudely parodies a couple of gospel singers and complains about happy people.  He postulates that happy people are so annoying that people will “tunnel under the street” to avoid them.  He then explains his frustration with the statement, “Of course, if I wanted to be that happy, I would have to forget all my problems…and the only time I forget all my problems is when I'm right smack-dab in the middle of a…” moment of peak physical pleasure with another partner.  (I paraphrased the last part at Sharon’s request.)
I’m sure Mr. Carrey’s statement is mostly intended for the shock effect of comedy.  Regardless, he helped me understand why some people despise joyful people.  When something you desire with your soul is impossibly out of your reach, people who have obtained it are a painful reminder of your unfulfilled yearning.
So, why are Christians so joyful?  How can we truthfully be that happy?
John 15:11 (NIV)”I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. “
John 16:22 (NIV)”So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.”
Acts 8:7-8 (NIV)”For with shrieks, impure spirits came out of many, and many who were paralyzed or lame were healed.  So there was great joy in that city.”
1 Peter 1:8 (NIV)”Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy,“
Our joy is inexpressible and unexplainable, because it is a miraculous gift from God.  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment