Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

HE SAYS: “Who do you say that I am?”


I heard someone quote Matthew 7:1 recently to justify their tolerance of another person’s sins.  This event and several others dealing with human judgment have been weighing heavy on my mind.  The age-old question is:  “Are we, with our flawed human reasoning, correct to make judgments about the behaviors of others?”
This is what I think.
God created us in his own image, and gave us the gift of discernment to be able to judge between right and wrong.  That ability was corrupted after Adam’s sin and we are no longer able to accurately judge.
However, the world was changed by Christ.
God obviously expects us to make judgments about the actions of others.  Jesus asked his disciples for a judgment about Himself:
"He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Matthew 16:15 (ESV)
Peter responded accurately, and Jesus explained that his ability to understand was not human, but a gift from God.
"And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven."  Matthew 16:17 (ESV)
Our ability to make judgments of the behaviors of others is only through the wisdom of The Holy Spirit.  Therefore, any decision we make about the actions or intentions of another should be preceded by earnest prayer.
Lord, please help me to see as you see and to understand as you understand so my judgment may be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment