Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

HE SAYS: Are you Religious?

Religion is a curious thing.  Most people associate religion with gods and deities and philosophies about eternity and human existence.  Dictionary.com first defines religion as:
1.        a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
However, the second definition opens up another world of possibilities:
2.        a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.
I have met people who are religious about their car.  I work with people who are religious about their career.  I pass people on the highway who all dress the same, look the same, and act the same because they are religious about their Harley Davidson.
Are you religious?
I once worked with a man who constantly talked about his favorite sports teams, and was arrogantly condescending toward me because I was uninformed about his teams.  Frankly, his constant reference to the latest game and its outcome became offensive to me.  I have often wondered what his reaction would have been if I had talked about my love for my Lord and Savior as frequently as he talked about his sports gods.
What is your religion(s)?
Does the investment of your devotion have any value beyond today, this year, this lifetime?
Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.” [John 6:27 (NIV)]

No comments:

Post a Comment